Friday, June 30, 2006

Any Port in a Storm

Yesterday I had a port for venous access put in my chest near my collar bone. It is so the chemo drugs don't destroy the veins in my arms since they are so toxic. It also allows for blood draws so I don't have to be stuck a million times! This procedure was supposed to be a walk in the park. NOT! After the procedure, I was in the recovery area and my surgeon came out and said, "Boy are you in good shape!" I looked at her oddly and said "Thanks". She then explained that I have so much muscle in my chest that she had a very hard time inserting the port, she tried to thread it through my neck (which is now killing me) to no avail. She went back in through the first incision and went toward my shoulder to thread it through and it went in. As a result, I feel like I have been beaten up. Everyone told me that this would be a simple, virtually pain feel procedure. I guess all the people I know who have a port in don't have well developed chest muscles. Go figure, the hundreds of flys I have done have come back to bite me in the ass.

I know I shouldn't complain because this complication is nothing compared to other people but if I didn't tell you about it then I wouldn't be truly documenting my journey, would I? Things will be better tomorrow!

5 Comments:

Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Hi Meg,
I didn't know they could put a port in like that- this must be relatively recent, and good thing too, given how many times you would be likely to be poked by needles otherwise through chemo. I think my dad was eventually asking them to jab his head to avoid the arm needles. I'm sorry your good shape has turned out to be a slight curse in getting this thing in, though it will serve you well along this journey in other ways, I'm sure.

I noticed in your profile that you are a capricorn. Keep fighting! Those goat horns were bestowed upon you for a reason.

Cheers,
AM

6/30/2006 05:52:00 AM  
Blogger PTfan said...

Dang woman, that sounds painful!!!

6/30/2006 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Dear Meg

Please hold on & remember to breathe...

Love
Dale

6/30/2006 05:40:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Bird said...

Love and light to you.

6/30/2006 08:21:00 PM  
Blogger ginab said...

For holy sakes Meg, I had no idea. I feel I wasn't at all reading carefully somewhere. We are the same age and although you write well enough I can hear your voice there is still something tactile missing, like a video or a voice diary. Already you are informing people. The wait is with everyone.

My love is with you. Seriously.

-g+bb

7/01/2006 10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home