Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Rewind

Yes, I know, I know it has been a while. I will put my hand out and you can all take a turn slapping it. To be honest, after I had my surgery I was in a big hurry to just reclaim my normal life, even if for just a short period of time. Too short actually.

After waiting a few weeks to heal properly, I was sent for a repeat PET Scan to determine if I had cancer still or again, depending on which doctor you talk to. Well the results are in and I went in to see my oncologist to here the verdict (so to speak). Turns out I am guilty and if my doctor was the judge and jury then I have been condemned to death!!

I still have cancer, after chemo, after surgery I still have activity in my lymph nodes. Now there is some disagreement between my surgeon and my oncologist. The surgeon, a man who I have lots of faith in, tells me that the inflammation in my chest is from healing and it will light up in a PET Scan. The oncologist says it is cancer.

Sitting on the edge of the exam table in the oncologist office waiting to hear what direction my new year will take, I was in no way prepared for what I was going to hear. Since I was diagnosed with cancer, I have hardly skipped a beat. I tolerated chemo like a champ, recovered from surgery and was back to work within two weeks. I have a physically demanding job and I still do it without problem. I work out on a regular basis, as a matter of fact as I type this my ass is killing me from squats and lunges. I actually feel great! So when my oncologist says well maybe you have a year, maybe you have three! You need to get your affairs in order, I was taken aback. Way far aback. I felt myself deflate, I felt hope leave me. After speaking with my surgeon about the news he did his best to assure me that there were lots of treatment options out there for me and the fact that the cancer has still not invaded my lungs, liver, and so on is a good thing. He still has hope for me. I plan on fighting, I have way to much to fight for. I have had it easy so far so maybe I need to put forth more of an effort.

I am going to a new oncologist tomorrow, he is affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania Hospital which is a teaching hospital with lots going on. Maybe he will give me some more positive news. It would be nice to hear that remission is a possibility.

When you are told that you should start getting your affairs in order, well lets just say it gets your mind working! Of course you think of the big things, the kids. I won't see any of my kids get married, hell I won't even see the younger two graduate high school. Never getting to see my grand kids doesn't sit well with me either. Then you start thinking of the little, more everyday things, prom dresses, boyfriend/girlfriend issues, making a team, going shopping at the mall. Missing these things is unacceptable to me. I am a control freak and I am losing it like sand through my fist. I am afraid to hope but I am not afraid to fight, to do what it takes to be there for my kids when they feel like celebrating or when the shit hits the fan. So apparently my battle with the big C bitch isn't over, she is going to be damn sorry she messed with me!

Oh and to all my female friends who read this blog, go and get a goddamn mammogram!

Stand back and watch me shine!

14 Comments:

Blogger PTfan said...

Don't say things like "I won't" and "never". They are hope killers and they sound like plans. If you're going to verbalize something, verbalize what you really want. I very much understand why you would say what you say though. When I heard you tell me, I felt a bit of the same way. Things looked so good for so long and then BAM, you get broadsided.

When you say you are afraid to hope but not afraid to fight, I have to say you can not have one w/o the other. How can you fight if you have no hope. Hope is also the strength behind your fight. And what about faith? "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" is true. What I have found out in my struggles and journeys is that I really have no strength of my own. I was fooling myself when I thought I did. When it came right down to it, when I worked / fought in my own strength, it was nothing really. I used to think I was strong. What I know now is that I am very strong when I allow Christ to be my strength.

I know you have faith. You mentioned it before. Faith has to be in something. My faith is that nothing is impossible with God. What's your faith in? With faith there is hope. In the bible, it defines it this way "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

Hey, I know this knocks the wind out of you. And I will have plenty of faith and hope for you until you can muster up some yourself.

I am sure of what I hope for because I have faith in a great and mighty God who describes His love for us as "unfailing" Just because there are struggles and challenges, and occasional bad news, does not mean He has abandoned His love for us. It just means we need faith ...for what we don't see.

What I hope for is your total healing. What I hope for is for you to be there for all the big things and the small things. What I hope for is having my friend around for a good long while.

And what else? I refuse to accept anything except total victory for my friend!

3/08/2007 03:43:00 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

That fucking sucks.
Meg, I'm still pulling for you and your family. I don't know what to say. Fighting is definitely a good thing.

Jeff

3/08/2007 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Meg, my heart is out to you right now. My prayers are with you too. No I don't know you but you know Bek and I are blogger buddies. You probably have had all the advise in the world on this BUT, I had a friend who had I think testicular cancer that spread to his lymph nodes. He researched the Gerson Institute. http://www.gerson.org/g_therapy/default.asp

They put him on a holistic program that involves working on getting your liver functions super-charged to heal the body. He is now cancer free. He did chemo and all that. It is a major dietary thing with juices and other stuff I don't know about but it absolutely worked for him. He didn't have long and now he is going strong.

Check out the website, give them a call. Hope is NOT lost. You sound like a fighter Meg. I'll stand back and watch you shine!

Prayers and love,
Lionel

3/08/2007 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger ginab said...

Meg-dove,

I'm thinking the C is an f'ing bastard (no woman would do this to another woman).

You sound strong, and lunges? Yowza. I'd never get back up! Failing knees. But cheated out of real things, Meg, bless you. Bless you for opening up, for communicating truthfully what went and goes through your mind upon the damned news. I applaud you for seeking out other opinions, for your willingness to try all kinds of precedures to survive. We're the same age, as I imagine many people here are your age. We're biting out elbows, we're clutching our palms together, wishing and praying so hard for the light to shine finally for you.

You are strong, damnit. We're strong. There's a lot here that's strong and determined. You'll hang in there and even more you'll do more to hang in there. We will too.

-ginab

3/10/2007 08:59:00 AM  
Blogger Lee Bird said...

Ouch! Very sorry to hear all this, Meg. Your doctor doesn't have much of a bedside manner, does he? Sounds like he's not much of a believer in the human spirit.

Anyhow, get your affairs in order (we should all do that), but don't give up hope, and don't give up shining! Keep us posted, and feel for all that positive energy we're sending your way!

Love and light to you...

3/15/2007 08:30:00 PM  
Blogger ginab said...

Thinking of you dove. I'm hopeful all remains as the surgeon describes. Or that you're fine, that it's only a part of the healing process.


-ginab

3/20/2007 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Bird said...

Hi, Meg. Tried to email you. Hope all is well.

3/20/2007 07:17:00 PM  
Blogger ginab said...

I'm getting my first mam on 3/28. THANK YOU!!!

-ginab

3/22/2007 09:03:00 PM  
Blogger ing said...

Keep that fighting spirit, and yes, there's more than one opinion, so keep seeking. You sound healthy and strong to me.

Thanks for sharing what you know. I wish you the very best!

3/26/2007 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Meg,
That strong spirit of yours will pull you thru....I just know it will. Your mind is healthy and your body will be strong....I will HOPE for that. I will make a prayer for that.
I thank you for alerting the rest of us to get our mamos...thank you for not hiding your struggle.

xo

3/29/2007 06:28:00 AM  
Blogger ShiningWater said...

Holy f*ck. I am stunned beyond words.

All I can say is keep fighting and keep loving. And I've seen people beat a bad prognosis more times than I can recall.

4/03/2007 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger jillytee said...

Hi Meg
I've been away for too long 'cos the last time I looked this post wasn't here.
Wow that really is a bloody slap in face after all your treatment. I don't think I know what words to say to you so I said a prayer instead. I just feel you are stunningly strong in mind and body and that will help you shine right through this horrible thing.
Shine, I'm watching along with many others
Jx

4/04/2007 09:58:00 AM  
Blogger RubyTuesday said...

So hows things? I was wondering why you are not writing so often? Is everything ok? I hope it is and keep writing so we know all is well.

4/04/2007 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Just wanted to see how you are, and let you know that you are thought of.....xo

4/18/2007 08:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home