Sunday, May 13, 2007

Race for the Cure

Today I went to Center City Philadelphia and walked in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Me and about 100,000 other people. I am not normally one to do the whole "support group" type thing but this is a little different. It raises money to research the disease I have and many others have so I figure it is a good cause. My girlfriends and I walked and chatted and made distasteful jokes about playing the "cancer card" to pick up men!!! Yes, we are a sick group of individuals but we laugh and that is all that really matters!

What amazed me about the day was how small a world it actually is. As we walked along my, friend Deirdre ran into her sister in law among the thousands of people walking around us. She did not know she would be there. At the end of the race you pass through these corral type lanes to hand in your ticket and the person at the end of my lane was my boss's son! There had to be a 100 different lanes and I passed through that one. After the race we were standing chatting and a group of ladies passed wit a sign that said "Souderton Lacrosse" It was so odd, my son plays on that team and I didn't know the mothers of his teammates were walking. As I looked at there faces they all looked familiar but not as mothers from the team. I approached them and they looked at me as if I had two heads, they said "We aren't from Souderton Lacrosse". Here they recycle the signs and there team name was on the other side! The faces were familiar because they were all woman that my friends and I went to school with that we haven't seen in years! How weird is that!

All in all it was a good day, how nice to see so many people turn out to support a foundation that fights a horrible disease and to celebrate the lives of those who lost their battle to the disease or to give hope and promise to those of us who are still in the fight!! Lots of people shined today!

STAND BACK AND WATCH ME SHINE!

PS Happy Mother's Day to all!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike S said...

It's very cool of you to run the
race for the Cure Meg,lots of good
people out there raising money
for a cure.Thanks for posting on
my blog,It furthers my suspicion
even more on you know who.Nice
to see you posting again.

5/13/2007 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger PTfan said...

Hey Meg, the kids and I (and the dog) were at Rita's today and we saw 2 people with t-shirts on from that walk.

In June the kids and I (and maybe the dog ) are doign that tiny walk in the neighborhood for Alex's lemonade stand.

It's a gorgeous day today and I have spent most of it playing outside with the kids. Forget about the other million things that need to get done, I need to play with my kids cuz I'm a mom!

Happy Mother's Day to you.

5/13/2007 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger jillytee said...

Hi Meg,
glad to hear about your walk, and it's true it is a small world.
Whenever we travel abroad or go to a big concert we always meet people who connect to our lives in some way. I'm sure there must be some kind of attraction!
Take care and keep shining 'cos we're still watching
j x

5/16/2007 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger MargieCM said...

Sounds like a very good day Meg. Things like this can be very empowering.I suppose seeing all those people you knew further illustrates how this disease touches all of us at some point, whether we're fighting it personally or helping someone else through it.

I love the black humour thing. Laughter is healing, and it's a great way to feel more in control, and less like a victim. I have a friend who's been very sick with bowel cancer, and some of his comments have left me gasping they're just so funny. Some people have felt he was being insensitive - to what - his disease? Like he owes it something? Don't think so - what you need is attitude and plenty of it!

Shine on.

5/16/2007 03:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home